What is a medical DOT card and where can I get one?
A DOT medical card shows that you are medically qualified to safely operate a CMV. Your DOT medical card must be in your possession while operating a CMV. Additionally, you must provide a copy of your CDL medical card to your employer.
The first step in earning your CDL medical card is determining whether or not you need one. If you operate a vehicle that falls into one of the categories below, you must obtain a DOT physical card.
· The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,001 pounds
· The vehicle is designed to transport more than eight passengers for compensation
· The vehicle can transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, but is not used for compensation
· The vehicle is used to transport hazardous material
If you operate a vehicle that requires a DOT medical card, you’ll need to schedule a DOT physical exam. The DOT physical exam must be completed by a doctor listed on the FMCSA National Registry list. You can locate these providers by searching for DOT medical examiners near you.
When you arrive at your scheduled exam, you’ll need to provide a completed DOT medical card form as well as a list of all medications or current health problems. Your exam typically consists of the following:
· Vision and hearing tests
· A blood test to screen for high blood pressure or any other underlying medical issues
· Urinalysis to check for drug or alcohol presence
Once you’ve completed your DOT physical exam, you’ll be given a DOT medical card. You’ll have to submit a copy to your State Driver Licensing Agency. Each agency has different policies on how you can submit. Check your state’s policies prior to submission.
Your CDL card is valid for up to two years and must be renewed if you plan to continue driving a CMV.
WHERE DO I GO TO GET A DOT PHYSICAL?
The process is extremely easy. Just call Coastal Drug Testing at (800) 221-4291 and we will be able to find a location for you today! To learn more about our other required DOT products, you can call us or visit us online at Costaldrugtesting.com